Master of Science in Medical Physiology
Tuesday, February 7th | 6p.m.
Wednesday, February 22nd | 6 p.m.
The Master of Science in Medical Physiology degree is directed toward individuals
who are interested in:
- improving their academic credentials and competitiveness before applying to medical,
dental or other professional school programs.
- developing a solid academic foundation in physiology and an academic advantage before
entering professional school programs.
- gaining additional educational and research experiences before applying to biomedical
PhD programs or entering a career in the life sciences.
This program provides an avenue for students who have had a limited opportunity to
receive medical science education as undergraduates or would benefit from an additional
year of immersion in medical school-level academic coursework.
This is the only program of its type in the state of Georgia and contributes to Augusta
University’s institutional mission. The establishment of this program serves to enrich
and diversify the applicant pool to the Medical College of Georgia, the state's only
public medical school, and support an increased demand for primary care physicians
in Georgia. For students who do not enter medical school the program provides the
knowledge required to excel in biomedical science professions and supports Augusta
University’s mission as a comprehensive research institution. The career paths open
to students who complete this degree program are vital to the health of Georgia’s
Key Benefits of the Program:
- An integrated program that mirrors the learning objectives of first year medical school.
- Completion of the program will strengthen applications to medical or professional
school by demonstrating that a student can perform at a high level in the physiology-based
components of the pre-clinical curriculum at MCG.
- Instruction by faculty currently engaged in medical and graduate school teaching.
- Opportunities to engage in medical research and explore other career paths in biomedical
- Housed within the Medical College of Georgia with state-of-the-art medical training
facilities (including: simulation center, ultrasound facilities, anatomy labs).
- Engaging learning activities including patient case-based studies and hands-on human
data collection-based activities.
- A collaborative learning community where students engage with each other inside and
outside the classroom to facilitate learning and a collegial experience.
- A variety of enrichment and professional development opportunities available on campus.
- Personalized advising for academic support, personal growth and career development.
- Academic support is provided during regular office hours, review sessions and discussions on
effective study methods.
- Faculty advisors help you develop your career plan and write letters of recommendation
for professional school and can connect you to additional student support services.
- Faculty will facilitate workshops for application to professional schools (application
process, writing a personal statement, preparation for interviews).